Friday, March 9, 2012

What they don't tell you can happen in Pregnancy?

I was not skinny when I got pregnant with my first child, but I was active and losing weight putting me in the category of those with a little extra on an athletic body.  Then I got pregnant and very ill losing 20lbs and ending the pregnancy actually 2 lbs lighter than when I started.  After giving birth I obviously lost more weight.  I started doing yoga and working at getting myself health again.  After intense yoga practice earning me a 200 hour teaching certificate, I was still not feeling one hundred percent. On top of my issues getting my body back to pre-pregnancy normal functioning, I had also developed a lump on my right shoulder.  Due to the severe edema I experienced during the pregnancy I was told it was fluid and would dissolve as my body healed over that first year post-pregnancy.



I started applying for yoga jobs while running a home daycare, but started feeling like I wasn't healing properly.  A visit to the doctor revealed a heart beat, the second visit to find out how far along I was revealed it was a boy and I was 20weeks!  I had about a month of vomiting and then by Thanksgiving I was 4cm dilated having infrequent contractions.  My tentative due date was my daughters birthday at the end of December which meant a month of dilation and contractions while running a daycare and taking care of an infant.  My lump/fluid on my shoulder continued to grow as well.  By the 21st they told me to have my help come early because I was going to go into labor any day as they were stripping my membranes.  Well, December ended and January began and they finally decided to schedule the induction as the baby was showing to weigh over 8lbs and they didn't think my pelvis could handle any larger, plus I was already dilated, having infrequent contractions, and the baby was showing to be at or past term.  The morning of my induction I awoke again to the normal contractions I was then having for months only this time they didn't stop and kept at 5 min apart.  Choice wake up the hubby 2 hours before he has to get up anyway to go to an induction or let him rest on the off chance it was just my body being odd.  I let him rest and didn't say anything until we started to get in the car.  He dropped me off at the ER, because for some god awful reason you have to check in their before going up to the birthing floor, and I got stuck behind some jerk with a sty who wanted it looked at but didn't want to pay or give insurance unless it wasn't a sty and was arguing with the clerk, the clerk finally asked him to step aside, potentially because when I wasn't doubling over in pain I may have looked like I was going to murder this jerk with my bare hands if they had the chance to get free from holding my belly.  He gets me started on getting checked into the ER and the hubby comes in from parking the car to help the rest of the way.

Finally, we go up and the nurse says they called me to say they needed to reschedule the induction.  A)no she didn't my phone was still in my hand B) I no longer need the induction I'm in labor!!!!

Long story short, I give birth to a healthy baby boy with a horrible doctor who literally left without finishing the job once the baby was out, sprayed my husband with umbilical blood, and ignored that I was having serious issues keeping from passing out.  I recovered, and got to take my beautiful second born home.

I got right back to work and my body returned to normal.  Except for the lump.(the picture to the right isn't mine, but is about the same size and just on the opposite shoulder, we didn't take a picture of mine.)  The lump just kept growing so I had it looked at and asked for it to be drained.  The doctor wanted a test first to make sure it was fluid saying he could barely see it.  Odd because it was affecting my movement and slightly painful when touched in area's, Oh and I was starting to look like Quasimoto!  One test done, it isn't fluid and he wants more tests.  More tests, its a Lipoma and he isn't sure we should remove it.  I ask for a surgical consult because it hurts and if it keeps growing I'm not going to be able to lift these babies I look after.  I found a great surgeon who agree's to remove it, but wants to do it with a local.

Here is the issue with that, my few local experiences haven't been good and there are concerns if I am one of the many whose bodies metabolize local at such a rate it is ineffective.  To combat this I was given Valium which slows this rate down so that I could potentially become numb.  They also used a newly designed local that is supposed to work better for people like me, plus they combined this with the old one for added protection.  I agreed because I didn't want the risks and affects including a longer recovery that come with going under.  I have had issues with bad reactions to going fully under in the past and like to avoid that when possible. So, here I am with this lump growing in my body that started with pregnancy which no one talks about as potentially happening, that could have turned cancerous because of it's growth rate, but most likely is the after affects of pregnancy that just never got shut off by my body.  This just leaves me facing a knife or the life of a hunchback, anyone have a bell tower I can live in?
If you want to hear about my surgery and recovery just visit Mommy Moments with Abby. She has 2 human babies and 3 fur-babies whom she writes about regularly!

Abby Billings
http://www.athomewithabby.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for letting me share my story! I love this site and this giveaway! Great Prizes!

    ReplyDelete